Monday, May 7, 2012

Fort Laramie and Oregon Trail Ruts in Wyoming- May 1, 2010

I started this blog 2 years ago and then just stopped. I just figured posting on Facebook was enough, maybe it is but I've decided to get the blog caught up to date. A lot has happened the last 2 years, we've been to quite a few places. Hopefully, I can fight the procrastinator in me to keep it up once I'm up to date. I'll begin where I left off... We left Albuquerque and headed North with the final destination to be West Yellowstone, MT. We made only 2 stops for sightseeing. We spent the night at a Wal Mart in Denver, Co. We regret not seeing any sights in Colorado, but there were far to many places and time didn't permit. Someday we will take a month or so to travel Colorado to really get the full effect and not a quick tour. We finally reached Wyoming and decided to stop at Fort Laramie. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. There was only one more very nice couple there with us from Germany. We spoke but conversation was light because they didn't speak good English. They seemed to be as taken as we were with a part of American history.
After Fort Laramie it was a short drive to see the Oregon Trail Ruts. Now this really interested me. Seeing the ruts the wagons made in the rock, and some of them were very deep, made me imagine how difficult the journey these people endured travelling West. We are lucky to have our highways, planes, trains and cars for sure. Progress, sometimes it's a good thing, but sometimes I think we're better off without it!
This place on the Oregon Trail is called Register Cliff. When the wagon train came through some of the people carved their names into the side of the cliff. There have been people to sign this clliff that were not part of the wagon trains, I think thats a shame and they should've left it alone.
This is a signature that was certified to be authentic.

1 comment:

  1. It always makes me sad to see people ruining historic sites. Thank you for the photos!

    ReplyDelete