Saturday, September 22, 2012

Grand Canyon





We arrived at the Grand Canyon on Tuesday, got set up at the RV park (Grand Canyon Camper Village), we wanted to stay in the park but they were full for the days we were going to be there.  We originally had reservations for 7 nights, but when we checked in they said most people don't stay that long because there isn't much to do after you've been to all the overlooks.  So we only paid for 3 nights and figured we'd go from there.  Turns out you don't really need a whole week here, in 3 days we went from Desert View to Hermits Rest.  We wanted to do the mule ride down in the canyon to Phantom Ranch but you have to reserve that well in advance, so maybe next time!




 
This was our first time here, so when we got our first look all I could say was "OH MY GOD"!  We've seen plenty of pictures and watched the specials on The Travel Channel, but to see The Grand Canyon, well I have to admit I got a little misty eyed.  It is that beautiful, hard to put into words, and pictures just don't capture it like when your standing right there!
 
 

The first 2 days we started out at Yavapai Point, did some hiking on the Rim Trail.  Then we went by car toward Desert View stopping at all the overlooks.  We found a nice picnic area that we had all to ourselves and had lunch.  We made it to Desert View to see the historic Watchtower.  I didn't know you could go up in it, so we did.  It was like climbing a lighthouse except not as tall.  I was on my way to the restroom and was looking around trying to see where it was not paying attention were I was stepping, but I was still on the pavement and a small rattle snake crossed the path right in front of me.  I almost stepped on it, I heard a noise and looked down and there it was a foot or less from me, luckily it kept on going.  Scared the crap out of me though.   Here is a picture I took of it, not sure if you can see it good enough though, but if you look close you can make out the rattle.
Grand Canyon Rattle Snake I almost stepped on!

Watchtower at Desert View


The last day we started out at Bright Angel Trail.  We hiked down for a little ways, not so bad, but then we had to go back up, that was pretty rough!  Then we took off on the Rim Trail heading toward Hermits Rest.  Most of the Rim Trail is a paved path and level in parts but there was a bit of uphill.  I can't remember exactly where we got to before my legs and especially my knee said it was time to stop, but we hiked it for 5 hours then we cheated and took the shuttle bus to Hermits Rest.

Randy on Bright Angel Trail

Me on Bright Angel Trail







We seen every mile of the South Rim that's allowable without going down into the canyon all the way (I will do that next trip), so we decided to moved on the next morning.  All I can say is this is truly a beautiful place and we really enjoyed it here.

 

1 comment:

  1. We chose not to ride the mules down into The Grand Canyon because the path just looked too narrow to me. We did ride mules down into Bryce Canyon and really enjoyed that. Glad you are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete